Re: rmail-reply produces incorrect mail header

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rmail-reply produces incorrect mail header
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:24:55 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:55:56 +0200
> From: enno <enno.vet@gmx.net>
>
> For some time now (starting with emacs23.3) I sometimes experience that
> rmail-reply (or supercite, or feedmail, or whatever) produces an incorrect
> `To:' field.  Apparently this only happens with mails from certain senders
> (my father for instance).
>
> In the past I just deleted the `In-reply-to' header from the reply before
> sending it, ugly but worked -- unless I forgot to delete...  I'm afraid I'm
> not sufficiently familiar with elisp to figure that one out on my own.
>
> To me it seems that somehow the header tag `In-reply-to: ' gets lost,
> resulting in a `To: ' header followed by an `In-reply-to' header WITHOUT
> header-tag in the following line.  But as stated above, this only happens
> with certain senders, others who supply `In-reply-to: ' as well work without
> trouble.

I use Rmail all the time, and never saw any such problems.

> I hit `r' to reply, and what I see seems perfeclty sane:
>
> v--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: enno <enno.vet@gmx.net>
> To: father@mailhost.xx
> [...]
> ^--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> But what is sent out to my smtp smarthost (and thus causes a bounce) looks
> like:
>
> v--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >From enno Fri Apr 15 15:53:24 +0200 2016
> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:53:24 +0200
> From: enno <enno.vet@gmx.net>
> To: father@mailhost.xx
>
> <trinity-e2fa2971-abde-4db8-8310-6a2bc9938e25-1460710832760@acertain-web>
>         (father@mailhost.xx)
> [...]
> ^--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you able to establish the factor(s) that cause this breakage?
IOW, what is different in those other messages where this doesn't
happen?  (Or did I misunderstand, and it happens with every message
you send in reply to another?)

Anyway, I see you are using feedmail to send email from Rmail, is that
right?  If so, could you try switching to a different back-end, like
message-smtp-send-it (which should be the default) or
sendmail-send-it?  You see, feedmail is almost unused, so it isn't
surprising it might have such bugs.

If you must stay with feedmail for some reason, please submit a full
bug report using "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", with all the details.

(Btw, what Emacs version are you using now?)