Re: desktop-save problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: desktop-save problems
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:08:48 +0300

> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:40:58 -0400
>
> First, I can save a listing (sort of*) by running "desktop-save" and
> then follow the prompt to select a directory.  I always select
> ~/.emacs.d/ on the local machine.  Is there some way I can configure
> desktop-save to always save to this same directory-- and on the local
> machine-- and not prompt me each time?  If there is no configuration for
> this, is it relatively easy to edit the code to accomplish this?

The way I do it is turn on desktop-save-mode, then Emacs will save the
desktop when I exit automatically.

> Second, is there a way for "desktop-save" to be run programmatically
> whenever I open a new file/buffer or kill a buffer?

In a new enough version of Emacs, the desktop is periodically saved
even when no buffer is killed.

> *Third, when I use tramp to open a buffer from a remote machine and then
> do "desktop-save" etc., that buffer name is written into the session
> file after "(setq file-name-history" but not under ";; Buffer section";
> that is, it isn't given a "(desktop-create-buffer" section in the
> session file.  Consequently, when I next time start emacs, none of the
> buffers opened with tramp previous session are opened.

Please report this as a bug with a recipe starting from "emacs -Q",
and all the relevant details.

Thanks.