Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:18:36 -0600

Rusi wrote:
> My first encounter with emacs was 25 years ago -- jove -- pure C
> [Not counting edwin -- pure scheme -- around the same time]
> I'd be surprised if that stuff worked today...

The code exists.  It is free libre.  So why not?  On my Debian system:

  $ apt-cache show jove
    Description-en: Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs - a compact, powerful editor
     Jove is a compact, powerful Emacs-style text-editor. It provides the common
     emacs keyboard bindings, together with a reasonable assortment of the most
     popular advanced features (e.g. interactive shell windows, compile-it,
     language specific modes) while weighing in with CPU, memory, and disk
     requirements comparable to vi(1).

Installs and runs today.  No problem! :-)

Bob