Re: using use-package

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:28:43 +0200

On 29.06.2016 00:05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Well I would have thought that needing eval-after-load and relatives
is evidence of a badly written (in Stefan's sense) package
I do think it's a problem, but admittedly, the way keymaps are normally
setup there's no standard&easy way for the package to "do the right thing".

IOW it's a failure of the general infrastructure offered by Emacs to
define and modify keymaps.  I'd encourage anyone to try and come up with
a good solution to this problem (it'll probably require changing "all"
packages to use a new way to declare keymaps, but I think it's a price
worth paying).

Started a project "general-key"

https://github.com/andreas-roehler/werkstatt/tree/master/general-key

designed to deliver just one key for all related commands in all modes.

This permits to change a key at a single place for all.

Still pre-alpha in many parts, but working as far as written.

The backside: it requires to link the keys of the modes at least once.
But still better than learning different keys/commands for common navigations like statement, block or expression.