Re: Overriding major mode key bindings

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: Overriding major mode key bindings
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 09:15:56 -0500

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> After some research, it looks like what I really should do is
> to create my own minor mode and and bind the keys the I want to
> "protect" to that minor mode.
>
> See
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/352/how-to-override-major-mode-bindings/358#358
>
> Am I on the right track? I am soliciting a second opinion.

Yes because `global-set-key' bindings can easily get stomped on to
your point. The caveat is that it is fine if you only use it for
virtually never used keys. For example I use `f9' because it is a
long-reach and no one every binds to it. Sounds like you are bindings
keys that do get used often, and you aren't OK with that and that is
exactly why you would use a minor mode.

Happy hacking.