Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest f

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest for mono font?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:52:54 +0300

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:07:58 +0300
>
> C-u C-x = shown that "Gentium" font is used for displaying character.
>
> Is that mean that for "ː" character font is defined and so
>
>   (set-fontset-font nil **nil** FONT-SPEC &optional FRAME ADD)
>
> isn't taken in account (when TARGET == nil)?

I'm not sure I understand the question, sorry.

In general, Emacs will use the first font defined for the character
that supports it.  If all the fonts were defined the same, the order
of their look up is not under your control.  So you will be better off
defining specific regions of characters for specific fonts.  Leave the
catch-all definitions for Emacs.