Re: Why is Elisp a lisp-2?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp a lisp-2?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 12:53:43 +0200

On 2016-10-07, at 12:17, Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  From the time I started using Elisp I never gave much conscious thought
> to it being a lisp-2 and kind of naturally treated it as a lisp-1. And
> now it has finally downed on me that Elisp is actually a lisp-2.
>
> So here my question, what was the historical reasoning for Elisp being a
> lisp-2?

(trolling-mode 1)

Because it is a serious tool and not a toy?

/me ducks and runs

(trolling-mode 0)

Actually, I'd like to hear the answer, too.  One conjecture is that
Elisp being lisp-2 enables functions and variables with the same name
(this is what lisp-2 means, right?), and RMS might have found it useful:
there are quite a few such pairs in Emacs.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski