Re: Can't figure out how to create a tabulated-list-mode with visible

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Can't figure out how to create a tabulated-list-mode with visible
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:28:28 +0200

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

> Well I guess I misread the description. Each has the form, so the
> additional parenthesis makes sense, but why is a ' needed for entries
> but not for format?

Good question!  One might assume that () and [] are quite symmetric, but
there are important differences.

Lisp programs are written as lists (and not as vectors).  If you want a
list constant (at a position that is evaluated), you need to quote the
list to prevent evaluation, otherwise it would be interpreted as code.

OTOH, the syntax for vectors, [element...], is only used to describe
vectors.  Vectors are self-evaluating objects, so you don't need to
quote.  It wouldn't harm OTOH, but I guess it would look quite strange
to most people.

Regards,

Michael.