Re: Missing public key when checking signature of my emacs lisp package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Missing public key when checking signature of my emacs lisp package
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:09:48 -0400

>    Ah-huh... Can i assume that i don't even need to sign my package if i'm
>    going to upload it to emacs default package-archive
>    http://elpa.gnu.org.

GNU ELPA doesn't work by uploading packages: it's not just
a distribution site.  Instead, you push your code to elpa.git and the
GNU ELPA packages are then built from that by a set of scripts.

So there's no occasion for you to sign your packages.

>    Will it be signed with some sort of "Free Software Foundation
>    private key" automatically?

Exactly, tho I called it the "GNU ELPA Signing Agent" since the FSF
doesn't really have anything to do with it (they provide "hosting
and philosophical guidance", of course).

>    And that "Free Software Foundation private key" has its public
>    counterpart exactly in emacs internal package-keyring.gpg?

That's right.

        Stefan