Re: problem: M-a M-e gives symbol's function definition is voide

From: Krishnakant
Subject: Re: problem: M-a M-e gives symbol's function definition is voide
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:30:40 +0530

On Thursday 23 February 2017 01:44 AM, John Mastro wrote:
Krishnakant <krmane@openmailbox.org> wrote:
I am really confused as to what might have happened in this case.

I open a file in python-mode

there is lot of code in it.

now when I try doing M-a or M-e to move back and forth between
function or class definition, I get the said error mentioned in the
subject.
Please check the *Messages* buffer and see if there is anything more to
the error message. Specifically, I would expect it to say which symbol's
function definition is void (example below).

I use emacs 24.5 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I have elpy with company-mode
enabled.

Can some one tell me what must be going wrong here?

I actually can't use any navigation function in python-mode because I
get the same error "symbol's function definition is voide ..." for any
shortcut I press.
Something is attempting to call a function that doesn't exist. You can
manufacture a similar situation with something like:

(defun broken-command ()
   (interactive)
   (no-such-function))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") #'broken-command)

After evaluating those forms, if I type f12, I get the error:

broken-command: Symbol’s function definition is void: no-such-function

Because there's no such function as no-such-function ;-)

of course M-C-i works with company so I know other things are going
correct.

Indentation also works correctly.

But it is very important for me to move between blocs of code (one of
the major reasons I have shifted to emacs ).
Once we know what the relevant symbol, this will likely be fairly easy
to track down and fix.

Here's the message from the buffer.
Symbol's function definition is void: beginning-of-python-def-or-class
Can you suggest what could this be?
I also tryed running emacs -Q for bare bones setting and this still happens.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.