Re: How to debug function that uses macros

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to debug function that uses macros
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 23:36:00 -0500

> How do I debug, using edebug, a function that uses macros?
> I want to step through the macro expansion.

Depends where the expanded code comes from.

If it comes from the macro call itself, then you'll want to add a debug
declaration to the macro, to explain which parts of the macro's
arguments are expressions.  Something like

    (defmacro foo (bar baz)
      (declare (debug (symbolp form)))
      ...)

If the expanded code you want to step through comes from the macro
itself, then you can try to use edebug-` instead of the normal `, such
as:

    (defmacro foo (bar baz)
      (declare (debug (symbolp form)))
      (edebug-\` (let ((,bar (something))) ,baz)))

> The obvious way to do this is to first create the fully
> expanded function, then use edebug on that.  Maybe there
> is a better way, but that should work.  But how do I
> create the fully expanded function?   Neither macroexpand
> nor macroexpand-all do anything useful here that I can tell.
> For example
>
>   (macroexpand-all '(my-function))
>
> just displays (my-function).

Only if `my-function` is a function, in which case indeed there's
nothing to expand.

        Stefan