Re: Emacs IDE

From: chaouche yacine
Subject: Re: Emacs IDE
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 08:21:52 +0000 (UTC)

Krishnakant,

Your story is inspiring and unusual as a blind developer isn't common. I wish
you strength and courage.

Although I don't know about any modes myself that highlights the closing tag,
there's C-c C-f to go forward a tag and C-c C-b to go backwards one tag, this
is in html-mode (notice that html-helper-mode do not have these shortcuts).
These shortcuts are inherited from SGML mode on which HTML mode is built.

There's also expand-region mode which highlights the whole region between an
opening and closing tag. See
https://github.com/magnars/expand-region.el

Hope this helps.

  -- Yassine

On Monday, March 6, 2017 3:58 PM, Krishnakant <krmane@openmailbox.org> wrote:

On Monday 06 March 2017 07:51 PM, chaouche yacine wrote:
> Krishnakant, I am a little surprised since you said you were totally blind.
> What would that change anyway ? besides, imagine an HTML document with 200
> lines of code wrapped inside a body tag. Positioning your cursor on the
> opening <body> you wouldn't be able to see the closing </body> tag 200 lines
> further, same goes for long lists or tables. It might only be useful if both
> the beginning and ending tags are on the same page. I don't know if there's a
> mode that does that to be honest.
Yes, it does not make a big difference to me as a blind programmer.
But my sighted colleagues who work with me will need it because they too
plan to shift to Emacs.
Besides, Emacspeak (the screen reader for Emacs ) reads paired
completion, but one has to use keyboard shortcuts to get it.  So the
first reason is more valid.
yes you are right about <body> but for <div> it is a great idea because
often nested divs confuse a developer when trying to figure out which
one closes where.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.