Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 20:29:36 +0200

Nick Dokos wrote:

>> I heard of a web interface to it all but
>> never used it and I think that is
>> a common situation.
>
> You are better off then:
>
> If you *had*, you'd be spoilt by it, and you
> would be crying the bitter tears that those
> of us who did are now crying.

Here, are we talking about an "interaction"
interface (composing etc.) or a search
interface, or both?

I *love* the Emacs Gnus interface which is the
same for accessing mail, Usenet and mailing
lists as NNTP newsgroups. Look, here is the
same screenshot once more! [1]

In general I don't like web interfaces (or web
programming) and certainly not when it handles
stuff you use every day.

However *search* might be the exception that
confirms the rule - makes sense, a web
interface to the web, right?

I suppose the reason I never look into or found
the Gmane web archive is I always found the
posts I was looking for thru Google, which led
me to the mailing lists own archives.

But wait, shouldn't that interface be uniform
as well, just as the access points? I suppose,
but it is a somewhat rare case and I'm fine
consuming information with Emacs w3m.
It doesn't have to look exactly the same
every time.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figures/gnus/gnus-group.png

--
underground experts united