Re: Calendar: Highlight certain holidays

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Calendar: Highlight certain holidays
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 03:39:33 +0200

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> writes:

> I use calendar and then its function holidays often
> enough, that I set the variable calendar-holidays in
> my init.el.
>
> It occurs with me, that I would be helpful, if the
> holiday list would be colourful. The one added by me
> to calendar-holidays in another face than the holidays
> coming out of the default. And then also different
> faces for the holidays, I added (e.g. for distinction
> between public holidays and memorial days (say Mothers
> Day)).
>
> I looked into it, but there is nothing obvious.
> The user is able to control, what holidays appear in
> the buffer, that lists it, but every entry in this
> buffer is equal to each other in how it is displayed.

Put point at a holiday and use this function to
determine if there is a special face for holidays:

    (defun what-face (pos)
      (interactive "d")
      (let((face (or (get-char-property pos 'face)
                     (get-char-property pos 'read-cf-name) )))
        (message " Face: %s" (or face "(no face!)")) ))

If there isn't, you can add them manually for
whichever mode the calendar goes by, just as I did
here - see how it looks in the screenshot, last. [1]

    (font-lock-add-keywords 'emacs-lisp-mode
     '(
       ("(?interactive?)"                     .  font-lock-builtin-face)
       ("font-lock-builtin-face"              .  font-lock-builtin-face)
       ("font-lock-comment-delimiter-face"    .
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face)
       ("font-lock-comment-face"              .  font-lock-comment-face)
       ("font-lock-constant-face"             .  font-lock-constant-face)
       ("font-lock-doc-face"                  .  font-lock-doc-face)
       ("font-lock-function-name-face"        .  font-lock-function-name-face)
       ("font-lock-keyword-face"              .  font-lock-keyword-face)
       ("font-lock-negation-char-face"        .  font-lock-negation-char-face)
       ("font-lock-preprocessor-face"         .  font-lock-preprocessor-face)
       ("font-lock-reference-face"            .  font-lock-reference-face)
       ("font-lock-string-face"               .  font-lock-string-face)
       ("font-lock-syntactic-face-function"   .
font-lock-syntactic-face-function)
       ("font-lock-type-face"                 .  font-lock-type-face)
       ("font-lock-variable-name-face"        .  font-lock-variable-name-face)
       ("font-lock-warning-face"              .  font-lock-warning-face)
       ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct" .
'font-lock-regexp-grouping-construct)
       ("font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash" .
'font-lock-regexp-grouping-backslash)
       )
     t) ; HOW (append)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figures/emacs/emacs-lisp-faces.png