Is it possible to move a column where column on right is variable width

From: Angus Comber
Subject: Is it possible to move a column where column on right is variable width
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 09:34:02 -0700 (PDT)

I downloaded a file, LSE.txt from this link:

http://www.eoddata.com/Data/symbollist.aspx?e=LSE

which is of the form:

symbol<tab>Description

the description is pretty free form.  Here are some examples:

06GG.L  BARCLAYS BANK PLC UNDATED FLTG RATE PRIM CAP NOTES'2'USD
06GL.L  NATIONAL GRID GAS 8.75% BDS 27/6/25 GBP(VAR)
07OZ.L  HAMMERSON PLC 6.875% BDS 31/3/20 GBP(VAR)

What I would like to do is swap so it displays:
Description<tab>Symbol.

I tried using rectangles, eg:

set mark at top left buffer, C-space
select area, ie selected area is all of Symbols column
Then c-x r k to remove the symbols from 1st column and save to the rectangle
kill ring.
then I replace $ with tab.

Then I navigate to the end of the first line and try c-x r y - but that inserts
the symbols into the middle of the Descriptions.

Is there any way to do what I want?