Re: weird key bindings...

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: weird key bindings...
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 22:38:55 +0700

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Press C-h k M-<left> when you are in Emacs in terminal. What does it say?
>
> ESC <left> (translated from ESC M-O D) runs the command org-metaleft
> (found in org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp
> function in ‘org.el’.
>
>> Press C-h k M-<left> when you are in Emacs GUI. What does it say?

> backward-word (found in global-map), which is an interactive compiled
> Lisp function in ‘simple.el’.

Interesting. It’s not just you and it’s not your Mac. I see this on
GTK+3/GNU/Linux:

$ emacs -Q

M-x org-mode RET

C-h k M-<left>
<M-left> runs the command org-metaleft […]

C-h k ESC <left>
backward-word […]

$ emacs -Q -nw

C-h k ESC <left>

M-x org-mode RET
ESC <left> (translated from ESC M-O D) runs the command org-metaleft […]

<M-left> runs the command org-metaleft (found in org-mode-map) […]

Looking into org.el shows that it binds [(meta left)] which seems to
not include the GUI <M-left> key.