Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:16:09 +0200

Mario Krajačić <krajacic.mario@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am student of IT from Croatia on finishing year for my bachelor's degree.
>
> For the graduate thesis I would like to contribute some open source
> project. For example it can be  some bug fix. Language in I work is C. My
> knowledge is shown in programs on git profile: https://github.com/mkrajaci

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, maybe a bug fix is a bit specific
for a thesis work, but doesn't have to be of course. I just wanted to
give a tip on a discussion going on right now on the coreutils list on
the program cut. cut is a program for getting selected delimited fields
from a file. Some people over the years has requested the possibility
for the program to respect the order of the fields specified (cut will
maintain the order of fields in the file). The maintainers thinks this
/might/ be a good feature but will not implement it because it can be
done by combining cut with other tools plus none of them see the
need. They will however re-view patches.

Anyways, see this thread for details:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2017-07/msg00025.html

It is said in that thread that because of how cut is implemented, this
feature addition is non-trivial to implement. If one is prepared for the
possibility that the feature is not added despite it might work to a
certain degree, it could be a very good exercise I imagine. I am sure
they would give help and feedback along the way.