Re: Possible Eshell/Tramp Bug in Emacs 26

From: Jay Kamat
Subject: Re: Possible Eshell/Tramp Bug in Emacs 26
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:17:56 -0400

It seems that the fix to
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27954 (commit
e66e81679c3c91d6bf8f62c7abcd968430b4d1fe) caused this issue. I had an
eshell alias defined as

alias sudo eshell/sudo $*

Which seems to no longer work (with the error described).

Now, the entry:

alias sudo eshell/sudo

works for my purposes instead.

This is a little bit annoying since it means that I can't share these
aliases across emacs25 and emacs26 without problems. One solution I
could do is setting `eshell-prefer-lisp-functions' instead of using this
alias, but I would have liked to only override sudo (and leave the rest
as system). If anyone knows a better solution, let me know!

Also, it would be nice if eshell aliases and other configuration were
not loaded in an emacs -Q setting.

-Jay