Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 21:45:00 +0900

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 19:49, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>

> So doesn't searching-and-replace with an empty replacement work?

It works to accomplish the same result but it takes many more step as I wrote
earlier:

isearch string
isearch-query-replace
(replace with nothing)

> As to Emacs behaving differently to other editors, I think it is the
> other way round ;-)

No, actually it really is the other way round. Emacs is not a text editor, it
is a Lisp virtual machine with text editing functions. Applications that are
created to be specialized in text editing are closer to what the users need in
terms of interaction. Which is the point of the current discussion.

The problem with emacs and searches, is that you only search, you don't *find*,
as in the action of searching does not result in an object that you can act
upon. Which defeats the purpose of searching.

A simple "search" does nothing but put the point at the end of the match. it is
nice to navigate the document but it does nothing about the match. isearch is
even more treacherous since it makes it look like you are finding something,
when actually you have also just moved the point in the buffer and nothing more.

A simple "search" should at least be able to create a region on the match, it
doesn't even do that.

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com