Re: Did `inline' used to do something else?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Did `inline' used to do something else?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 14:06:18 -0800

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>>> By the way it is interesting that Gnus is
>>> what brought this issue up to date because
>>> Gnus (or Emacs Lisp) has speed issues and
>>> one way in Gnus to counteract it is the
>>> presence of very long functions.
>>
>> My observation so far is that Gnus has lots
>> of this sort of micro-optimization, but that
>> much of the slowness comes from how the
>> larger routines and data structures work.
>> In fairness, we have a lot of tools now that
>> weren't present when Gnus was written.
>
> With respect to data structures? What tools
> are those?

Mostly real hash tables, and object classes. I suspect using those will
make things go a bit faster -- at the very least it will reduce the
amount of boilerplate code.

It's possible that threading will provide some speedups, but I'm not
certain.

We'll see! My main goals is making the code more readable and
maintainable, but hopefully some speed improvements will come out of
that as well.