Re: Did `inline' used to do something else?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Did `inline' used to do something else?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:31:32 +0100

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> > I think this is only confusing... an alias
> > should be another way of referring to
> > something as a convenience, nothing more.
>
> Agree 100%

In my eyes it is absolutely obvious that we have a (documentation) bug:
you need to know something about `inline' to understand the Emacs Elisp
sources, and that "something" is neither obvious nor documented (look
how long it lasted for several experienced people to find out the magic
behind it).  And it is confusing to define it with `defalias' because
you get an ridiculing help buffer.

Even when there should be better alternatives now, as long as it's used
so often in Emacs, developers need to know what it does and how it works
to be able to create patches e.g. for Gnus.  It can be obsoleted, or the
documentation can say "old, use this and that instead, ...", but that's
not an excuse for missing documentation.

I reported it as a bug (#29367).

Michael.