can't open the same buffer in a second frame

From: ken
Subject: can't open the same buffer in a second frame
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:30:31 -0500

It used to be nice that I could open the same buffer in a second frame (aka window).  Sometimes I need to edit the same file in three or four places and it's necessary to have all of them showing at the same time... and for other reasons.  But I tried doing "C-x 5 b" and also "C-x 5 f" yesterday and couldn't do it either way.  I could open a different (not currently open file or buffer), but couldn't open the same one.  It worked years ago. Why take away perfectly good and useful functionality?  More importantly, how do I get it back?