Re: Ubuntu 16.04 server --- Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80 when packag

From: izzy . yichao . cai
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 16.04 server --- Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80 when package-refresh-contents
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 18:28:29 -0800 (PST)

to...@tuxteam.de於 2018年1月17日星期三 UTC+8下午8時12分42秒寫道:

Hi Tomas,

Basically, I've been following the instruction from elpy github repo for
installation. (https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/elpy)

In my .emacs file. I've added the following:
```
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/";))

(package-initialize)
(elpy-enable)
```

So, I am using https, which is a safe practice as Dan pointed out.
How did emacs decide to connect to elpa.gnu.org? Is this a default of emacs?
Because I never included the elpa.gnu.org link in my .emacs file or evaluated
it in my buffer. (That means I have no choice in using https or http. :( It
just happened and I don't know why.)

> ...but this won't work. Indeed, "elpa.gnu.org:80" isn't a host name.
> Try pinging "elpa.gnu.org". It's there and replies to pings :)
Yep, I tried to ping "elpa.gnu.org" and it did replied.

------------------
**ISSUE UPDATE**:
------------------
This is an update on the issue.

So, I have successfully installed eply in my emacs right now! However, this
remains mysterious to me as in how it worked out.

In my first post, emacs was hanged on "Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80".
Exiting emacs here and running package-install resulted in could not find the
elpy package.
Since I am running emacs on my server, I decided to let it run in hope that it
would get connected anyhow.
After two days, when I come back to it, it's still hanged. So I quite emacs
(C-x C-c) and restart it. Then, I run package-install and elpy now can be
installed.

Then, I tried package-refresh-content again but it still got hanged.

Do you have any idea how this might happen?
Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Yichao