Re: info-find-source

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 10:00:49 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I sympathize.  I am typing this on a Thinkpad X220 and the vertical
> > resolution is only a mere 768 pixels.
>
> I suggest you upgrade to a X201(s) where you can get 1440x900.

Ha!  I have an X201 as well!  It is a very good machine too.  Actually
I have them sitting next to each other both up and running right now.
I have IRC and other always on things running on one that I want to
keep an eye on and am using the other for this email.  A "poor man's"
way to have dual monitors. :-)  [And yes I also use x2x and other
utilities for this as it happens.]

I like the X201 as well.  It is a very good machine too.  It has a few
more vertical pixels, which are the important pixels.

I have my two machines configured differently from each other having
tuned them for different things.  One is a very thin network client
that I used when traveling.  The other is a fully self contained
system for working offline that I use as my daily carrrying around
machine.  And also the keyboards, while both are very good, have a
slightly different feel from each other making me prefer to type on
one more than the other.

Note the X220 is compatible with Libreboot whereas the X201 is not.

>         Stefan "using 1400x1050 here on my T61"

For some reason my beloved T60p has started overheating.  It hits 100C
too often now.  Something has changed.  In spite of the fan running at
high speed all of the time.  It really produces a lot of heat!  It has
become my coffee table machine and sits in wait most of the time now
due to the new overheating problem.  I need to pull it apart and
double check everything.  Or replace the cpu in it.  Or something.  It
wasn't previously this way.  Making me worry the newer kernels are the
cause of the overheating problem.

Even before the overheating problem on my T60p began I had already
started to use the X201 as a travel machine.  The kit is a full pound
lighter in weight and much reduces my carry around weight.  I miss the
vertical pixels.  But it is an experiment for me in "small living". :-)

Bob