Re: Multilingual Font Control

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Multilingual Font Control
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 19:05:03 +0200

> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:26:06 +0000
> From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
>
> I don't use Thai in Emacs very often at the moment, and I hit a display
> problem when I had to use it urgently the other night.  I used
> describe-char to identify the immediate cause - Emacs was using the
> barely readable 'handwritten' font Purisa instead of the usual
> default, Kinnari.

What Emacs version was that, and on what OS?

> I've fixed the problem for many purposes by simply adding the line
>
> (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'thai "Kinnari") ;; Def. not Purisa
>
> to my .emacs.  However, this command looks as though it may not work
> well with font-locking, which may select other font sets.

Why do you think it will not work with font-lock?  I see no reason why
it shouldn't.

> Is there some other method I should use?

No (but do try Emacs 25.2 or later first).  If the default fontset is
not to your liking for some script or range of codepoints, you should
customize your fontset as you did.