Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el

From: joakim
Subject: Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 12:17:10 +0100

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Life happened and stuff.
>
> I'm going to test a number of things that came up in this thread, and
> also during discussions with the xterm author, and the all-the-icons
> guys. Then I will document my findings and communicate them here.
>
> Basically I'm trying permutations of xterm, gnome-terminal, terminal
> keyboard rebindings, mosh, fonts, etc.

Now I tried merging fonts using fontforge. i used DejaVuSansMono as the
base font, then I merged the various all-the-icons fonts to a new
DejaVuSansMonoIcons font, and installed the font. I then tried using the
new font in xterm, and it works to a degree. Since the different fonts
probably have different widths, there are some quirks with the icons
being wider than the base font at times. But anyway, it is possible to
get all-the-icons in an xterm emacs, but if one wants it to look nice,
one needs to spend a bit of time.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se