Question about memory usage

From: Michał Kondraciuk
Subject: Question about memory usage
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 13:57:26 +0200

Hello,

Originally I wanted to report this to bug-gnu-emacs, but it's so basic that I thought I'd ask here instead.

Basically, when I run the sexp below in emacs -Q, Emacs keeps allocating a lot of memory. In 10 minutes, it goes from 18 MB to over 200 MB.

(while t
  (with-temp-buffer
    (setq buffer-undo-list nil)
    (insert "a")))

Calling garbage-collect afterwards or even inside the body of the loop doesn't help (except the loop obviously runs slower, so after 10 minutes, Emacs uses ~100 MB of memory). So I want to know if this behavior is expected for some reason? Does Emacs reuse this memory somehow (to make future allocations faster)? I tested on newest master and 25.3 and the behavior is the same.