Re: Question about memory usage

From: Michał Kondraciuk
Subject: Re: Question about memory usage
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 21:16:41 +0200

From: Michał Kondraciuk <k.michal@zoho.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:57:34 +0200

To answer your question: yes, I think this is expected, given that you
set buffer-undo-list to nil (what is the purpose of that, btw?).

No purpose, but some external packages display information in a way
similar to this sexp, where undo information is also recorded (needlessly):

To disable undo, you should bind buffer-undo-list to t, not to nil.
And with-temp-buffer already does that, because temporary buffers have
their undo disabled by default.

I know that, I meant it's common to see code like this in some packages, especially when the buffer is actually displayed.

Did you try not setting buffer-undo-list at all?  What did you see
then?

Emacs behaves as expected, i.e. memory usage is ~20MB all the time.