Skipping words with C-<right> like other editors do

From: R. Diez
Subject: Skipping words with C-<right> like other editors do
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 18:49:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all:

I am not satisfied with the standard behaviour of C-<right> etc. I want it to
work the way most "normal" editors do.

I tried the following with Mousepad under Linux (the default editor under Xfce):

text --- ^^^ *** /// ;;; aa-xx bb

I have marked with an exclamation mark all places where the cursor stops at
when you repeatedly press Ctrl+right or Ctrl+left:

!text! ---! ^^^! ***! ///! ;;;! aa!-!xx! bb!

KDE's text editor Kate, Notepad++ under Windows, and Java environment NetBeans
behave a little different with regards to the start/end word position:

!text !--- !^^^ !*** !/// !;;; !aa!-!xx !bb!

I think that this is the behaviour that I prefer.

I would prefer that the cursor only stopped once inside "aa-xx", like it is the
case inside a text field in Firefox. In any case, I guess that, if Emacs'
"superword-mode" is on, the cursor should not stop inside "aa-xx" at all.

I have tried everything I could think of to make Emacs behave that way:
forward-word, forward-symbol, modify-syntax-entry.

I also tried this more elaborated solution:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/26417/custom-c-arrow-cursor-movement

But I just cannot get it right. Unfortunately, my Lips knowledge is too limited
to come up with a more complex or flexible solution myself. After some years of
frustration, I finally decided to post here.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance,
  rdiez