Re: problem with grep

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: problem with grep
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:40:53 +0300

> From: Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:43:40 -0400
>
> When I had to use Windows, I found the path of least resistance was to
> install the Cygwin package.  That includes grep and lots of other
> very useful Unix-y stuff, including diff which also works well with Emacs.

Since nowadays native Windows ports of all the important GNU utilities
are available, I don't think suggesting Cygwin is a good idea, because
using Cygwin programs with native Windows build of Emacs has subtle
problems which will require further non-default setups and tinkering.

People who want Cygwin (and generally like to feel almost like on a
Posix system) should install a Cygwin build of Emacs, not a native
build.