Re: Free cursor movement beyond the end of line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Free cursor movement beyond the end of line
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 08:52:15 -0400

>> There is popular text editors option "allow cursor movement end of line".
>> It was implemented in many of text editors long time ago.
>>
>> But it seems that it's absent in emacs (yes, I tried set-goal-column,
>> picture-mode, artist-mode).

It's called quarter-plane-mode and is available from GNU ELPA.
But don't expect miracles from it.

>>  - artist-mode and picture-mode unfortunatelly add extra spaces and has
>> surprice behavour in visual-line-mode

The extra spaces should normally be deleted upon save, so they should
not make a difference except for display line-wrapping
(quarter-plane-mode uses the same technique of inserting&removing spaces
as needed; actually uses code from picture-mode internally).

> I recently discovered rectangle-mode -- maybe it does what you want.

Indeed, rectangle-mode has some code that does something related, but it
only handles the part of *displaying* the cursor where there's no actual
text, it doesn't try to let you then insert text at that position.

        Stefan