Re: Emacs/Publishing/WYSIWYG

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Emacs/Publishing/WYSIWYG
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 16:44:53 -0400

Seconded.

I, too, think WYSIWYG capabilities would be useful to have in Emacs,
and I'd always appreciate having one less reason to leave Emacs.

The subject did come up on emacs-devel back in March, with RMS
mentioning [0] that:

> However, making progress on Emacs as a word processor is one of my
> specific goals.  This is what Emacs needs to do to be useful in all
> the ways it should be useful.
>
> It will only take a few more features to make Emacs start to be useful
> as a word processor.  Once we can do proper formatting of paragraphs
> with variable-width text, with a few kinds of alignment, and we can
> save these in files, we will be able to use it for writing letters and
> handouts, instead of LibreOffice.

I'm out of the loop with respect to development on the listed useful
features.  I'd love to hear more about if anything new has been added
and/or what's missing there.

[0]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00189.html

-amin