Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: on adding a function call to a s-exp
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:04:56 +0200

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

It is true that paredit is irritating sometimes, but very convenient
otherwise.

For the benefit of those who don't know it, let's put a simple example.
Suppose that you have:

(foo)
(bar)

but now you wish to wrap those function calls inside a conditional. So
you write:

(when something
(foo)
(bar))

Which requires moving the cursor through several lines just to add a
parenthesis.

With paredit, you write

(when something_)
(foo)
(bar)

(the underscore represents the position of the cursor). Now you can
incorporte the function calls inside the `when' with
paredit-forward-slurp-sexp.

Things like this, combined with aggressive-indent-mode, makes editing
Lispy languages quite pleasant, IMHO. In the past I worked like Drew
describes, which is fine, but now I need to worry less about putting the
parens on the right place. Paredit does that for me.