Re: Separate area at the top for a serious tab bar

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Separate area at the top for a serious tab bar
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:28:00 +0200

On 2018-06-25, at 08:24, R. Diez <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de> wrote:

>> [...]
>> I would highly reccomend giving the buffer
>> based workflow a try, however. Once I tried seriously
>> dropping tabs, I can't imagine going back to a tabbed workflow.
>> [...]
>
> You are not the first with that kind of suggestion.

And not the last. ;-)

> I still have not seen what makes that "buffer based workflow" better.
> Sometimes I do use ibuffer to clean buffers up, or to find some buffer I
> 'lost', but tabs give you a kind of positional orientation that is hard to
> beat.

1. Scalability.  I have around 250 buffers open now, and I'm only at
about 4 days emacs-uptime and on vacation. ;-)

2. Regex-based switching to tabs (I use Ivy).

Though I understand the "positional orientation" idea.

> I do not switch buffers with the mouse. I use Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down to
> navigate the tab bar. With Ctrl+Shift+Up and Ctrl+Shift+Down I can reorder
> the tabs with the keyboard. I do this all the time, so that the buffers I am
> working on at the moment are near each other.
>
> By the way, those are exactly the keys that Firefox uses for its tabbar.

I plan to ditch the Firefox tabs, too, and use EXWM, so that I can make
the tabbar->buffer kind of switch in web browsing, too.  (BTW, those
keys don't work in my FF.)

> For example, when working on C/C++ code, I place the .h and .cpp files next
> to each other, the .h file to the left, and the .cpp file to the right. I
> know I can open the other one with 'other', but that is not reliable, for
> example, if the .h file is not next to the .cpp file, but in some other
> include/ directory. If I am moving code, I place the old source file to the
> left, and the new one next to it, to the right, so switching is immediate. I
> can open a script and have next to it a shell to test it out. And many such
> pairs happily coexist in the same, long tabbar.

That is indeed neat, but isn't it fragile?  It depends on you, the user,
ordering the tabs.  This looks like something a computer could do.  I'd
probably write a small Elisp command to do that kind of buffer switch
for me.  With something like projectile it should probably be at most
a few lines of code, even if the "other" file is in some other
directory.

Also, I use windows/frames for similar things.

/me thinking

Thanks for a blog post idea.  While I don't code in C-whatever, this
might be useful more generally.  JS web apps could benefit from that,
and LaTeX to some extent, too.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski