Re: Flyspell difficult to configure, documentation not honest

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Flyspell difficult to configure, documentation not honest
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 20:41:09 +0200

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> OK, but why not just spell check when you
>> are done and have the typing/spellchecking
>> processes separated?
>
> Simple: especially with emails, I forget to
> do so and I end up with less than appealing
> results... The auto-correct features of
> flyspell allow me to continue writing and
> only correct when I pause.

OK, so the idle timer does it. Still it would
seem it would happen fast enough for my taste.

In your situation (forgetting to spellcheck)
I would bind it to a shortcut and have it enter
my muscle memory. If I still forgot about it,
I would tie it to some appropriate hook, be it
`message-send-hook'.

I already have that do this (the below code),
which enables me to use the same interface for
mail and Usenet (the "Newsgroups" or "To"
header that is empty is removed).

(defun remove-empty-headers ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (re-search-forward "\\(To\\|Newsgroups\\): \n"
                            (get-header-separator-pos)
                            t) ; NOERROR
    (replace-match "") ))

;; (setq message-send-hook nil)
(defun message-send-hook-f ()
  (remove-empty-headers) )
(setq message-send-hook #'message-send-hook-f)

But to each his/her own, as always. Here, the
results don't vary. Or they do, which is
the point.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573