Re: Most used words in current buffer

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Re: Most used words in current buffer
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:49:31 +0530

On 07/20/2018 01:38 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Also remember that at the time knowledge and daily use of ed (and qed,
> ex, and the others) made using sed very easy.  Lots of shared
> knowledge.  However today that sed may seem arcane to people is just
> that they are no longer familiar with ed.  It no longer has that
> shared learning that made sed so familiar back in the day.

That is true.  I expect that learning the three of ed, sed, and grep
will be mutually reinforcing; the functionality in ed forms the basis of
those in sed and grep.

One cannot however expect ed to be available by default on modern Unix
systems.  E.g., it is not there by default on Debian.

While on the topic of editors, here's a fun quote:

  By the way, 'em' stands for 'editor for mortals' -- I christened it
  that after Ken Thompson visited our lab at QMC while I was developing
  it and said something like: "Yeah, I've seen editors like that, but I
  don't feel a need for them, I don't want to see the state of the file
  when I'm editing".
                                -- George Coulouris

> Bob

Udyant Wig
--
We make our discoveries through our mistakes: we watch one another's
success: and where there is freedom to experiment there is hope to