remember all the little quits before you do the big quit :)

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: remember all the little quits before you do the big quit :)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:54:49 -0500

In the Gnus manual, it says:

This message means that the last time you used Gnus, it wasn’t properly
exited and therefore couldn’t write its information to disk (e.g., which
messages you read), you are now asked if you want to restore that
information from the auto-save file.

To prevent this message make sure you exit Gnus via ‘q’ in group
buffer instead of just killing Emacs.

This is a good idea to avoid getting prompted about autosave files next
time you start Gnus.  Emacs-W3M and ERC have their own quit commands,
and seem also to prefer you didn't just quit your whole Emacs session
while they're still around.

Emacs checks to see if you have unsaved buffers at exit, and will prompt
you if there are running subordinate processes...but it's a little picky
about what it considers a "process," mostly meaning that in the sense of
processes in the underlying OS, not Lisp programs like Gnus or
Emacs-W3M.

It would be nice if Emacs would give options on shutdown to terminate
Lisp applications in the same fashion it checks for unsaved buffers and
subordinate Unix processes.  I know there are probably ways people have
hacked together solutions for this in their ~/.emacs files (and I'd love
to see them, if anybody wants to post snippets), but it just seems like
if Emacs is taking the effort to warn me of things I need to take care
of before shutdown, it shouldn't be forgetting about its own running
applications just because they're not OS processes.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent