Re: Using R-mail in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using R-mail in Emacs
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 17:53:30 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:34:14 +0200
>
> > You mean, Gnus can know when you have no more use of some email
> > message and it can be discarded?  How does it do that?
>
> It does (at least) time based auto-expiration. Probably score based as
> well [1], plus you can mark messages as expirable/unexpirable.

The oldest email in my INBOX is from 18 years ago, and I still need it
from time to time.  I guess time-based expiration is not for me.

> > When you have no good idea what to search for, having related email
> > messages together in the same folder will help finding what you are
> > looking for faster.  So I find that some classification is still
> > useful, although I have search capabilities set up that can find any
> > email in split-seconds.
>
> Iʼm also a fan of the 'big ball of email' model. Filing stuff into
> sub-folders just makes me forget where I put it.

I don't have a lot of folders: less than 2 dozen.  Rmail is customized
to automatically guess the right folder given certain keywords in a
message, and it guesses right with high probability.  My experience is
that the classification into a small number of folders helps a lot to
find material, so I guess to each one their own.