Re: when nothing happens, buffer still marked as modified

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: when nothing happens, buffer still marked as modified
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 16:00:15 +0100

From: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 11:09:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> But how do I determine if the buffer has
>> changed or not? If it has, of course it
>> should be marked `**'!
>
> That's the same problem that M-q has, and it
> leaves the modified status intact. Why not do
> as it does?

I'm not following, "Why not do as it does"?

I mean why not follow M-q's example? It marks the buffer modified even if re-filling the text arrived at the same text as before the
command.

Now I'm confused. The NEWS section for Emacs 26 says:

** 'fill-paragraph' no longer marks the buffer as changed unless it
actually changed something.

Which seems to be implemented (correct me if I'm wrong, I only took a very quick look) by using `buffer-hash'. I thought that was what you meant when you said "do as it does"...

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments