Re: local binding, too local...

From: tomas
Subject: Re: local binding, too local...
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2018 22:59:16 +0100

On Sat, Dec 08, 2018 at 11:45:32PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Thank you Tomas.
>
> So can you say that "binding" is like "creating" a variable ?

No (at least not in this Lisp context). It's more like associating
a name with a variable.

> While assigning is just putting a value in that variable ?

Kind of, yes. Reality is a bit more complex, though...

> I remember in my math classes, when we were using x and y, etc. we were
> binding x and y, right ? And then when we had values for x and y we were
> assigning values. Is that correct ?

In maths, binding means associating a value with a name, that's easy.
And there's no correspondence for assignment. You can substitute a
bound variable (say x is bound to 5) by for its value everywhere.

"Assigning 7 to x" wouldn't make much sense in maths, because it would
amount to assigning 7 to 5.

Cheers
-- tomás