Re: Question on updating to 29.1

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: Question on updating to 29.1
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:41:31 +0200

On 10/7/23 01:51, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
Like me, you do contact to Ubuntu team with Emacs update.
What do you mean?
I think that manaual building is not easy. Maybe there is a package
for emacs 29.1 of Ubuntu?

I am building the latest GNU emacs snapshot everyt day on my Ubuntu desktop using the following script. My /usr/src/Editors/emacs contain a git clone of GNU emacs. I did install the dependencies (they don't change often) e.g. with aptitude build-dep emacs

#! /bin/bash -x
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
sync
cd /usr/src/Editors/emacs
rm -f etc/DOC*
git  pull
git  log -3 | cat
sync
rm -rf /tmp/emacsinst/
time nice make -j  -l 9 || exit 1
time make  install DESTDIR=/tmp/emacsinst || exit 1
sudo cp -v -r -p /tmp/emacsinst/usr/local/. /usr/local/.
sync&

--
Basile Starynkevitch
 <basile@starynkevitch.net>