help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] negative time skew message in radius.log

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] negative time skew message in radius.log
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:36:56 +0300

> Jun 17 13:55:12: Acct.notice:
> stat_update(STOP,#2074905505,ukgw1,0):negative time skew

The message means that the timestamp when the Stop paquet arrives
is less than the timestamp of the Start paquet. In other words,
the logout apparently occured earlier than the login. The timestamp
is computed as a difference between the system time when the record
arrived and the value of the Acct-Delay-Time attribute. Such a
message usually means that the session had a (nearly) zero duration
and the NAS reported some bogus value for Acct-Delay-Time.

> Will this message prevent this CDR from being inserted in accounting
> database.

No, it doesn't affect the accounting in any way.

> How can we prevent this message from happening

Hmm, the best way would be to find out why it happens and try to
eliminate the reason. Otherwise, you could just comment out
lines 239 and 262 of radiusd/stat.c to shut this messages out.

Regards,
Sergey