help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] RADIUS-MySQL problem

From: Maurice Makaay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] RADIUS-MySQL problem
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:50:56 +0100

Hi,

> I am trying to use radauth, but I get an Authentication error-
> Auth.error: [MYSQL] cannot connecto to localhost as root: Can't
> connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

> The MySQL is running on port 3036, and I have the port in sqlserver
> set to 3036, with servername as localhost.

Are you sure this is the port? I think the default port is 3306 for MySQL.
I might be mistaking though... This shouldn't be a real issue, since
you're apparently connecting through the mysql.sock UNIX socket file.
IIRC, the port is then irrelevant.

> I am doubting that something is wrong with the users file. It just

I think your problem lies in connecting to the database itself. This
is not a real radius problem. Take a look to see if you can connect
to your MySQL server on the promt using the command line:

# mysql -h<server> -u<login> <auth_db>

Replace the <...> values with the corresponding fields from your
sqlserver configuration file. If you have setup a password in your
sqlserver file, also include that one using -p<password> (or better:
only -p and fill in the password when mysql asks for it). If the
database information in the sqlserver file is correct, then this
command line call should work. If this fails, first try to configure
the MySQL server, so this command line does work.

Further: quite trivial, but does the file /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
exist on your system when the MySQL server is running?

Regards,

Maurice Makaay
InterNLnet BV