help-gnu-utils

filename.tar failing to untar

From: Steven
Subject: filename.tar failing to untar
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:02:25 -0700

Hello:

I've been searching high and low for any information that might help me
restore from a backup tar file that is being difficult for some reason.

The file is just your basic tar file without any compression.

Here is the command I'm typing:

tar xvf 2003-07-17.tar

And here is the last few lines from the result:
/DP/
/DP/PDEF.DP000000
/DP/PDEF.DP010000
/DP/RDEF.DP010000
tar: Skipping to next header
[root@lucia root]#

Here is the version of tar we are running:
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25

The filesize of the backup file is consistant with the other files that have
worked fine.

Does anyone know what options I have? Is there some way to look into
the file to see what may be wrong?

Thanks so much in advance,

Steven
--
Know your neighbor. Discover independent media:
http://www.thislife.org/ - This American Life - documenting "everyday life" in