help-gnu-utils

Re: Fed up with pattern rules ( make 3.79.1 on Redhat 8 Linux )

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Fed up with pattern rules ( make 3.79.1 on Redhat 8 Linux )
Date: 25 Jun 2004 08:08:55 -0400

%% a_gilotra@yahoo.com (funtoosh) writes:

  f> $(DIROBJ)/$(PLATFORM)/%.o: %.c
  f>        @echo "running via pattern rule"

  f> make target
  f> make: *** No rule to make target `obj/linux/a.o', needed by `run'.
  f> Stop.

It looks to me like the file "a.c" doesn't exist.  A pattern rule only
matches if make can determine how to build all the prerequisites.

If you can't figure it out use "make -d" and see why make is rejecting
the pattern rule.

  f> man page of makefile is nicely written but somehow doesnt answer why
  f> the above error ?

Do you mean info page?  The man page for GNU make is not much.

PS. Creating directories the way you're doing it is not a good idea.  If
    you were to ever want to enable parallel builds, for example, it
    could break.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: