help-gnu-utils

Re: Newbie can't get gnu grep to produce results

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Newbie can't get gnu grep to produce results
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:39:05 +0200

RichardL <RichardDummyMailbox58407@USComputerGurus.com> writes:
> K:\Temp\GnuTest>grep -l -i 'hello' *.txt

I know not much of MS-DOS and even less of MS-Windows, but ISTR that
the * is not expanded by COMMAND.COM.  grep finds no file named
'*.txt' so it prints nothing, which is as documented.

Try:

   grep -l -i hello song.txt HelloWorld.txt

If that works, then download http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
install cygwin, and use bash as shell instead of COMMAND.COM.
Unix shells do expand characters such as * themselves.

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush