help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] How do I run jobs on a remote node

From: John M Collins
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] How do I run jobs on a remote node
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:29:27 +0100

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 19:04 +0200, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
John M Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 23:18 +0200, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to package GNUBatch for OpenCSW [1]. I've created a package
>> and installed GNUBatch quite successfully. I can start it, run jobs with
>> gbch-r and they're executed. I even get an email about it every time.
>>
>> Now, the question is how do I get it to run the job on other nodes? I've
>> been through the manuals but haven't been able to find much info on the
>> subject. I can't find much info on how to create different queues, only
>> how to write expressions to select them.
>>
>> [1]: http://opencsw.org
>>
>> --
>> Trygve
>>
> You firs need to have each other node set up so it sees "exported" jobs
> and variables from its peers - you should be able to change job
> parameters remotely etc.
>
> You may have to run gbch-hostedit to set up other nodes' IP addresses
> and stop/restart the scheduler.

I think I've got the host file correctly configured. When I'm in
gbch-hostedit I can see the (correct) IP of the host.

However, I'm not sure how to verify the file and the connection to the
other hosts.

This is my setup:

$ cat /opt/csw/etc/gnubatch.hosts
# Host file created on 24/09/09 at 18:59:19

skybert-6       s6      probe,manual,trusted

When I'm trying to access a variable on a remote node (assuming this is
the correct syntax) I'm getting:

$ gbch-var skybert-6:CLOAD
gbch-var: Unknown variable skybert-6:CLOAD

I did try to run "gbch-conn skybert-6" which seemed to work just fine
after switching the connection type to manual.
If there had been anything wrong with the hosts file it would have given some error message at that point.

Are there any log files I can look at?
I think it has probably worked OK

You have got each machine with a hosts file entry pointing to the other one haven't you?

If you look in the "btsched-reps" file there will be messages if it doesn't understand a connection attempt.

After you've run "gbch-conn" check for a connection on the gnubatch port using "netstat -a|grep gnubatch".

You won't "see" the variables on the other machine until you've marked them for export on the other machine with "gbch-var -E varname". The same is true of jobs. (I had to make it like that as the network traffic is too great especially when you have several hosts).

John Collins address@hidden Skype: toadwarbler

xisoftware
Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com

Tel: +44 (0)1707 886110 (Direct) +44 (0)7799 113162 (Mobile)

Registered in England & Wales Company Number 1977148 VAT: GB 403 9239 64

Trading Address: 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK
Reg Office: 2 Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD, UK