help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] "binning" of models

From: Al Davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] "binning" of models
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:15:53 -0700

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 07:25 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> Is it possible to have a library of "binned" models?  Ie, in hspice
> and spectre, you can have different bsim3v3 model parameters for
> devices of different widths and the simulator automatically selects
> the correct model.  For example, you might have a 1um to 5um model,
> a 5um to 10um, and a >10um model.
>
> specifying a 7.5/0.35 um device would automatically choose the 5-10
> model.

Not now.

As to when ....  I have higher priorities that will keep me busy for
a while, but I would welcome it if you or someone else could do it.

It would be easy to add the  LMIN, LMAX, WMIN, WMAX, LREF, WREF
parameters, but resolving the multiple models is significant work.
It is not clear from the HSpice manual what the syntax is when there
are multiple bins.   Multiple .model cards with the same name??  It
is also not clear how discontinuities at bin boundaries are resolved.
 Apparently, only certain parameters can be binned.

Perhaps the best short term work-around is to add the 6 parameters,
and warn when L and W are out of range.  You (the user) would define
multiple models with different names.  This way, the only editing
needed would be to manually select the bin.

al.