help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Gwave with GnuCap

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Gwave with GnuCap
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:36:45 -0500

On Sunday 13 December 2009, Ivan Reche wrote:
> I know its kinda off, but I don't have anywhere else to ask:
>  Is it possible to use gwave with gnucap? I've tried here,
>  but gwave wouldn't display correctly the waveforms. For now,
>  I'm using gnuplot, but it is not convenient.
>
> With gwave, I get distorted waveforms that have nothing to do
>  with my wave files.

Yes .. I do it all the time.

My guess at your trouble is that you are manually extracting a
table from the redirected standard output from a batch run.
This is designed for screen viewing, and dates back to the 80's
when viewing text on the screen was a common thing to do.

Probably the output of things like "1K" for 1000 are the
problem.

I recommend instead that you direct the output of the individual
commands to files, and view them.  When directed to a file, the
output notation is in the usual "E" format that anything can
read.  For example:

gnucap> tran 0 .001 .0001 >afile

Then view that file:

$ gwave afile

or from the gnucap prompt:

gnucap> !gwave afile

I am bewildered that it works different in gnuplot.  I thought
the same formatting issues would apply there too.

Also ..

When doing a transient analysis, you will get a better plot if
you say "trace all" ..  example:

gnucap> tran 0 .001 .0001 trace all >afile
gnucap> !gwave afile