help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Please help, It just keeps going

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Please help, It just keeps going
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:30:53 +0100

You wrote:
> Hello all, I have killall'd gnunetd (ps -e doesn't show it anymore), I have
> rm -rf .gnunet/ and yet I am still getting lots of udp traffic over port
> 2086... How can I stop this? i've tried
>
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p udp --destination-port 2086 -j REJECT
>
> and that doesn't help at all... I really don't like seeing all this
> traffic, when there shouldn't be any at all.  Its going 2-5kps.
>
> I even rebooted, and did NOT start gnunetd and yet the traffic resumes.
>
> Any help would be greatly appeciated.

If you stop gnunetd properly (sigterm / sighup instead of sigkill), it
*tells* currently connected peers to stop sending traffic. If you don't,
these other peers will assume for up to another 30 minutes that they are
still connected to you and keep sending you messages.

Even if you properly shut gnunetd down, other peers will still send tiny (!)
probes to check if you may be back and available for the time that you
specified in your gnunet.conf under HELOEXPIRES, which is typically 24h, but
you can reduce it down to 1h or increase it to much, much longer. After that
time, all the UDP traffic should stop.

But again, you will see *lots* of traffic if you do not shutdown gnunetd
properly since peers will continue sending you lots of messages (queries,
potentially content,etc.) whereas the probes over the 24h period should be so
little traffic that you should barely notice.

Christian